Last updated: 1 year ago
You can use the نُون التَّوْكِيد (emphasis with the letter ن – also called energetic mood) with the present tense (الْمُضارِع) and the imperative (أَمْر) – but you cannot use it with the past (الْماضِي).
Here is how it works.
|The light ن
|ن خَفِيفة ساكِنة
It is formed by adding a ن with a سُكُون
|Obey your parents!
|The strong/heavy ن
This form is more common. Here is how you build it:
- Delete the ضمّة on the verb (marker for present tense) or delete the final ن if the verb-form belongs to the so called الْأفْعال الْخَمْسة (“five verbs”)
- Add a fatha (فَتْحة) on the last letter
- Finally, add نَّ → Note: do the same for the imperative
|Do you (really) help your friend?
|هَلْ تُساعِدَنَّ زَمِيلَكَ؟
In case you want to dive deeper into the grammar ocean…
- How to handle the number 8 in Arabic – a core analysis
- What are the best Christmas gifts for Arabic nerds in 2023?
- Collective nouns in Arabic: Do you use the same word for camels and a camel?
- What gender should you use for Arabic grammar terms?
- “He gives it to me” – How to add two pronoun suffixes in Arabic
Picture credit: Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay