Last updated: May 2, 2021
You can use the نُون التَّوْكِيد (emphasis with the letter ن – also called energetic mood) with the present tense (الْمُضارِع) and the imperative (أَمْر) – but you cannot use it with the past (الْماضِي).
Here is how it works.
|The light ن||ن خَفِيفة ساكِنة|
It is formed by adding a ن with a سُكُون
|Obey your parents!||أَطْيَعَنْ والِدَّيْكَ!|
|The strong/heavy ن||ن ثَقِيلة|
This form is more common. Here is how you build it:
- Delete the ضمّة on the verb (marker for present tense) or delete the final ن if the verb-form belongs to the so called الْأفْعال الْخَمْسة (“five verbs”)
- Add a fatha (فَتْحة) on the last letter
- Finally, add نَّ → Note: do the same for the imperative
|Do you (really) help your friend?||هَلْ تُساعِدَنَّ زَمِيلَكَ؟|
In case you want to dive deeper into the grammar ocean…
- How well can you identify Arabic roots?
- Why are the adjective and the حال often confused in Arabic?
- Are the Arabic verb forms XI to XV (11-15) really so rare?
- A tool to learn the notoriously difficult rules for numbers in Arabic
- What does فأسقيناكموه mean?
Picture credit: Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay