Last updated: July 20, 2021
Lisān al-‘Arab (لسان العرب), the famous dictionary of Classical Arabic, contains 9273 roots (and 4,493.934 words). A huge playground for people who are passionate about Arabic such as…
The woman who uses LEGO to teach Arabic
- Date of birth: 14th November 1989
- Place of birth: Cairo, Egypt
- Place of residence: Cairo, Egypt
- Website: https://ghadawali.com
1. How would you introduce yourself to someone who doesn’t know you?
I am the founder of Wali’s Studio. I’m a human, designer, and artist who believes that design can change the world.
2. What was your first Arabic grammar book?
It was called التلميذ.
3. What is your favorite Arabic book (novel, etc.)?
Karnak Café by Naguib Mahfouz (1974).
4. How much time does a native speaker of English need to master Arabic?
It depends on the character, I believe we should tailor methods to individuals rather than masses.
5. What is your favorite Arabic word?
6. Which Arabic word do you like least?
7. Which Arabic dialect do you like best?
8. What is your favorite Arabic colloquial word or expression?
O Lord! (يا رَبّ)
9. What is your favorite Arabic quote or proverb?
A quote by Ibn ʿArabī:
قد كنت قبل اليوم أنكر صاحبي
إذا لم يكن ديني إلى دينه داني
لقد صار قلبي قابلا كل صورة
فمرعى لغزلان ودير لرهبان
وبيت لأوثان وكعبة طائف
وألواح توراة ومصحف قرآن
أدين بدين الحب أني توجهت ركائبه
فالحب ديني وإيماني.
In elder days, I denied my friend,
If my own religion leaned not unto his.
But my heart has now transformed, to harbor all forms:
It is a meadow for gazelles, and a monastery for monks,
A pantheon of idols, and a pilgrim’s Kaaba,
A Torah’s tablets, and a Quran’s text.
Love’s creed is my credo, wherever I am or love is
There Love is my one true religion and belief.
10. What is the best thing that was ever said about the Arabic language?
A quote by Taha Hussein:
اللغة العربية .. لغة رصينة… ألفاظها مصقولة… تصور بها صفاء اللغة … تملاء ألفاظها الفم … لها رنين تحبها الأذن… ولا يضيق بها الذوق… ولا ينفر منها الطبع
The Arabic language… a thoughtful language… the purity of the language, visualized by its words… its words filling the mouth…. it has a sound the ears like… and does not narrow the taste… and does not repulse its temperament.
11. What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?
“It is about the journey, not the destination.”
12. Which three people would you like to invite for dinner?
I would choose my family every time!
13. What was the last great meal you had?
My mom’s Pasta.
14.What is your favorite city?
15. Which book would you give to a dear friend?
A book I just designed.
16. What is your all-time favorite movie?
17. What music do you listen to?
I listen to all genres.
18. When were you happiest?
19. What is your greatest fear?
Losing a loved one.
20. What is your life motto?
Turn pain into production.
Ghada Wali, thank you for your time.