Last updated: June 2, 2021
Lisān al-‘Arab (لسان العرب), the famous dictionary of Classical Arabic, contains 9273 roots (and 4,493.934 words). A huge playground for people who are passionate about Arabic such as…
The woman who makes children (0-12) read and love Arabic books
- Date of birth: April 6, 1990
- Place of birth: California, USA
- Place of residence: Cairo, Egypt
- Personal website: https://www.arabicbookamonth.com
- Dina Elabed’s author page on Amazon
1. How would you introduce yourself to someone who doesn’t know you?
I am a children’s book author and critic. I believe that quality children’s books can make a huge difference in the lives of children, from improving literacy to empathy. I love spending my time at the beach or reading/writing a book.
2. What was your first Arabic grammar book?
3. What is your favorite Arabic book (novel, etc.)?
A very naughty cat (قط شقي جدًا) by Abeer el-Tahir (عبير الطاهر).
Remark: It is the story of an old man and his cat. It tells about loneliness, friendship, sincerity, accepting others, and is full of warm feelings.
In 2014, قط شقي جدًا was the “children’s book of the year” (33rd annual Sharjah International Book Fair).
4. How much time does a native speaker of English need to master Arabic?
At least two years intensive.
5. What is your favorite Arabic word?
6. Which Arabic word do you like least?
7. Which Arabic dialect do you like best?
8. What is your favorite Arabic colloquial word or expression?
“al-face” when referring to facebook – totally cracks me up!
9. What is your favorite Arabic quote or proverb?
There are so many!
.الباب يعدي جمل
It literally means that through the door can pass camels. The expression denotes that if you don’t like it, the door is wide open, and you are welcome to leave.
10. What is the best thing that was ever said about the Arabic language?
That it is a beautiful language.
Dina Elabd not only creates Arabic books for children. She also helps parents to find suitable books. Friends and family often ask: “What Arabic books should I buy for my child? Are they good?” Arabic books for children are often boring or related to religious topics only.
Dina Elabd would like to change that and started Arabic Book A Month.
This is how it works: Every month you will receive a package of carefully selected, high quality Arabic children’s books. All you have to do is select your child’s age group (0-3, 4-7, or 8-12 years old) and the number of books you want.
11. What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?
Never give up on your dreams, no matter who doesn’t believe in you.
12. Which three people would you like to invite for dinner?
JK Rowling, Oprah and Prophet Muhammad.
13. What was the last great meal you had?
14.What is your favorite city?
15. Which book would you give to a dear friend?
The map of love by Ahdaf Soueif.
16. What is your all-time favorite movie?
Love actually (2003).
17. What music do you listen to?
You can easily subscribe to Dina’s service Arabic Book A Month on her website. Her customers are mainly located across the USA. Dina offers free shipping in the USA.
18. When were you happiest?
Always the present.
19. What is your greatest fear?
Getting sick before I can see the world.
20. What is your life motto?
Dina Elabed, thank you for your time.