Last updated: June 2, 2021
A few days ago, I got an email from a reader in the United States. Korki asked me about ways to adjust the Arabic font on Chrome for Android.
I had previously written an article that explains how to adjust the Arabic font on Chrome and other browser – but that only works on desktop computers.
But there is a solution – thanks to a great open-source browser called Kiwi.
How to install the Chrome extension Huruf on your mobile phone
How to adjust the Arabic font on Android
Here is a step-by-step guide to adjust the Arabic font on Android mobile phones.
Download Kiwi browser
Install Huruf or Wudooh extension
- Open the Kiwi Browser.
- On the right you will see the three vertical dots/hamburger menu.
- Open it and click on extension.
- You will now see: kiwi://extensions
- Click on “You can find extensions on Google”
- Search for Huruf or Wudooh – and install it
Adjust the font size and font type
If you click on details on the extension Huruf, you will see at the end that you can adjust the options and settings.
That’s it – it should work now.
See the difference – Kiwi plus Huruf / Wudooh works
Kiwi is not only a really good, fast and stable browser for your Android mobile phone. If you read Arabic texts, Kiwi will make your life easier. Let us check the results.
The following two screenshots were made on the same device with the same standard zoom and settings.
On the left you see Google Chrome for Android. On the right you see the same text on Kiwi browser for Android.
Another example – a Bing search in Arabic on Kiwi browser.
What is Kiwi browser?
Kiwi is based on Chromium and WebKit, the engine that powers the most popular browser in the world so you won’t lose your habits.
There is one big advantage over Chrome on mobile phones: you can install CHROME extensions on Kiwi. In other words, you can install Huruf – the very useful extension by Jackson Petty which allows adjusting the size and type of the Arabic font your browser uses to display Arabic script.
Pros and Cons of Kiwi
It is developed by a company called Geometry OU which is based in Tallinn in Estonia in Europe.
Browse in peace.Founders of KIWI browser
- Based on the very best Chromium
- Incredible page load speed – thanks to our very optimized rendering engine, we can display web pages super fast.
- Powerful ad block that removes most of intrusive ads (you can enable it in Settings, Ads or use any extension of your choice)
- Super strong pop-ups blocker that really works
- Cryptojacking protection: The first Android browser that blocks hackers from using your device to mine crypto-currency
- NO Chrome Sync: Google doesn’t allow Chrome Sync to be used by third-party browser. Furthermore, the developers actually do not wanna offer this service anyway: Google Sync sends your full history, bookmarks and passwords to servers which is totally not cool.
Is there a solution for the iPhone?
I have not found a way to adjust Arabic fonts on the iphone’s browser. If anyone knows a solution, please let me know or share it as a comment below. I appreciate it.
Other useful tools for working with Arabic:
- 27med, 9ala7, 5alid – How to read and write Arabic in arabizi
- A list of special Arabic letters and signs for Word and LibreOffice
- A tool to learn the notoriously difficult rules for numbers in Arabic
- Adjust the Arabic font in Chrome or Firefox – Here is how it works
- Arabic songs with English subtitles on YouTube
Picture credit: Image by Foundry Co from Pixabay